Photo : AP
Dolly : The world’s first cloned sheep.
1. Alphabetically, which is the last of the seven Emirates in the United Arab Emirates when written in English?
2. If Dolly was the first cloned sheep, Injaz is the first cloned…?
3. Which rodent is also called a woodchuck or land beaver?
4. Ambulophobia is the fear of which normal activity?
5. Which popular candy, a hit with kids, was/is named after a racehorse?
6. The fruit of which funnily-shaped tree is called ‘monkey bread’?
Photo : AFP
Grand finish : At the Champs-Elysees.
7. What ‘first’ did English cricketer Claire Taylor achieve recently?
8. According to the nursery rhyme, whose garden grows thus: “…With silver bells and cockle shells/And pretty maids all in a row.”
9. On a standard computer keyboard, which number would be pressed with shift to produce the ‘hash’ sign (#)?
10. Which famous sporting event traditionally finishes at the Champs Elysee in Paris?
11. If it is Sansad for India, for which European country is it ‘Cortes Generales’?
12. If one does a work ‘gratis’, how much is he/she paid?
13. Which EPL was founded as Dial Square in 1886 by workers in Woolwich?
14. Which common flower is considered the symbol of secrecy?
15. According to the Mayans, both good and bad fortune was tied to a planet’s orbit. Name the planet.
1. Umm al-Quwain; 2. Camel; 3. Groundhog; 4. Walking; 5. Lollipop; 6. Baobab; 7. She became the first woman to be chosen a ‘Wisden Cricketer of the Year’; 8. Mary Mary Quite Contrary; 9. Three; 10. Tour de France; 11. Spain. It’s the native name for the National parliament; 12. Nothing!; 13. Arsenal; 14. Rose; 15. Venus.
V.V. Ramanan, The Hindu