Sea of Tranquility : One small step…
1. Simple one to begin with. Name the first two humans to set foot on the moon.
2. Which U.S. President made this statement that led to the successful mission in 1969: “First, I believe that this nation should commit itself to achieving the goal, before this decade is out, of landing a man on the moon and returning him safely to the Earth”?
3. What did NASA call the first manned mission to land on the Moon?
4. What were ‘Columbia’ and ‘Eagle’?
5. On what date, from where and atop which rocket did the astronauts blast off?
6. Of the three men who went on the mission, who did not set foot on the lunar surface?
7. Name the ‘sea’ on which the LM came to land confirmed by the words “Houston, Tranquility Base here. The Eagle has landed”?
Photo : AFP
July 20, 1969 : Man on the moon.
8. What happened at 02:56 GMT on July 21, 1969?
9. A disc made of silicon containing goodwill messages from leaders of 73 countries was left on the Moon. Which Indian’s message was included in it?
10. What was/is ‘Armalcolite’?
11. About what did Neil Armstrong say: “I’m not particularly articulate. I think reasonable people will realise the ‘a’ was intended. I hope history would grant me the leeway. They can put it in parentheses”?
12. Who is reflected in whose visor in the iconic photograph of the man on the moon?
13. Complete the inscription on the plaque left on the lunar surface: “Here Men From The Planet Earth First Set Foot Upon the Moon, July 1969 A.D. We Came in….”?
14. In which ocean did the terrific trio splash down after their path-breaking voyage?
15. To sum up, name the highest civilian award in the U.S. that was bestowed on the three spacemen for their daring adventure?
1. Neil Alden Armstrong and Edwin Eugene ‘Buzz’ Aldrin, Jr.;
2. John F. Kennedy;
3. Apollo 11;
4. The call signs for the Command Module and Lunar Module respectively;
5. June 16, 1969 from the Kennedy Space Center (Florida) riding on the Saturn V rocket;
6. Michael Collins;
7. Mare Tranquillitatis;
8. Neil Armstrong placed his left foot on the surface of the moon to become the first human on earth’s natural satellite;
9. Indira Gandhi (the then Prime Minister);
10. A mineral discovered at Tranquility Base on the Moon by the Apollo 11 crew and named in their honour;
11. The missing ‘a’ in the first part of his historic “One small step for man, one giant leap for mankind" quote;
12. Neil Armstrong, the photographer, on ‘Buzz’ Aldrin’s visor;
13. “… Peace For All Mankind”;
14. Pacific Ocean;
15. The Presidential Medal of Freedom