In India every year 28th February is celebrated as National Science Day: “National Science Day” is commemorated in the honour of Sir C.V.Raman for his legacy, who discovered Raman effect on 28th Feb. 1928.
Importance of the day: It was on 28th February 1928 the great Indian Physicist Sir C.V. Raman discovered Raman Effect while working in the laboratory of the Indian Association for the Cultivation of Science, Kolkata. It was a great achievement and for that he received Nobel Prize which was the first Nobel Prize for India. Hence the day is of great importance for Indian science and scientific community.
HISTORY : In 1986, NTSC took initiative to get the Government of India to designate February 28 as the National Science Day (NSD) which is now celebrated all over the country in schools, colleges, universities and other academic, scientific, technical, medical and research institutions. On the occasion of the first NSD (28 February 1987) NCSTC announced institution of the National Science Popularization awards for recognizing outstanding efforts in the area of science communication and popularization, which have been given annually since 1988.
Objectives and Events: Besides commemorating the event, National Science day (NSD) have several objectives. Here are a few of them:
- NSD gives an opportunity to bring issues of science on to center stage
- It highlights the contributions of science to human kind in the domains of disease eradication, energy production, space exploration, environmental issues, information technology etc.
- It emphasizes biotechnology’s impact on agriculture, environment, health, industry and pharmaceuticals.
- It gives the space for exchange of thoughts on the gospel of reason and experimental observation that helps scientist to acquire mental and intellectual excellence.
- It provides the information on application of science in the daily life.
- It motivates to inculcate scientific temper among the school children.
- It lists the initiative steps taken by the scientific community to disseminate the knowledge to the future generations.
Events: Several programs are organized focusing on the above objective. Prominent institutes come forward for the celebrations with remarkable programs. Eminent scientists of the present day give seminars on the most happening subjects of the science. Science exhibitions are conducted by the students in schools.
An exhibition of Books on the theme going on in the library from 22-28, February 2010. Visit the library.