1. On this date in 1896, which major event made its ‘modern’ appearance, 1503 years after the last one?
2. Name the term, used commonly in context of a superhero’s identity, which comes from the Latin for ‘the other I’?
3. On which river is the contentious Nimo Bazgo Dam scheduled to come up?
4. If Sony makes the PS3, who makes the Game Boy series of gaming consoles?
5. Whose arch-enemy in literary fiction was Professor James Moriarty?
6. Which is the only country that is crossed by both the equator and the Tropic of Capricorn?
7. What is the capital of the country in which the famous volcano Cotopaxi is located?
8. How many standard cricket pitches, laid out end-to-end, would cover two furlongs?
9. Which team has won the Ranji Trophy the most number of times?
10. Which of these is not a woodwind instrument: trumpet, flute or the nadhaswaram?
11. Of which dynasty, founded in the 18th Century, was Mir Qamar-ud-din Khan the first in lineage?
12. Which festival in Judaism recalls the deliverance of Jews from slavery in Egypt?
13. Which global organisation is behind the ‘Earth Hour’ observed on March 27?
14. Alphabetically, which is the first and last of the alkaline earth metals?
15. Raphanus sativus is the binomial name for which common vegetable?
1. The Olympic Games
2. Alter ego
5. Sherlock Holmes
8. 20 pitches
9. Mumbai (formerly Bombay)
11. Asaf Jah
13. World Wide Fund for Nature
14. Barium and strontium respectively
Cortesy: V V Ramanan, The Hindu