Meet the famous Malayalam writer Dr. Geoge Onakkoor at 11.00 a.m. on 26 February 2011 in the Library.
Dr. George Onakkoor
George Onakkoor is a famous malayalam novelist born on 16 November 1941, at Moovattupuzha, in northern Travancore. Malayalam professor for over three decades at Mar Ivanios College, Trivandrum, Kerala.
Dr. George Onakkoor is well acknowledged in various capacities as novelist, short-storywriter, critic, script and travel writer. He was the former Director of Kerala State Institute of Children’s Literature, State Institute of Encyclopaedic Publications and Kerala State Literacy Council. He also served as the first Non-official Chairman of the State Resource Centre.
The awards he received include The Jawaharlal Nehru Award for his excellent service as Chief Editor of the Children’s Encyclopaedia; the award for the best research thesis submitted in Indian Universities in the field of Art and Literature, the Kesava Dev Centenary Memorial Award, Thakazhi Sahithya Award, Mother Theresa Award, KCBC Award, Kerala Shree Award, Kesava Dev Award etc. He has been honoured by the Government of Kerala for his contributions to Language and Literature. The Award for the outstanding Indian writer given by the Euro-American Expatriate Literary Association was yet another laurels he received. The Kerala Sahithya Academy Award has been conferred on Dr. George Onakkoor twice for his novel (Illam in 1980) and travelogue (Adarunna Akaasham).
Some of his writings are: Akale Akasham, Uzhavuchalukal, Ulkkadal, Illam, Kalthamara, Kamana, Ezhuthapurangal, Samathalangalkkappuram, Hridayathiloru Vaal, Parvathangalile Kaattu (Novels), Orchid, The Sword in the Soul, The Wind in the Mountains (Translations of his three novels)etc.
Literary Critic and Novelist Author of Thirty One books
1. Akale Akasam (Novel)- 1972 2. Ulkkadal (Novel)- 1975 3. Kalthamara (Novel)- 1977 4. Ezhuthappurangal (Novel)- 1978 5. Illam (Novel)- 1979 6. Kamana (Novel)- 1981 7. Kamana (Novel, English Edition)- 1981 8. Uzhavuchalukal (Novel)- 1985 9. Nalu Poochakkuttikal (Stories)- 1985 10. Njan Kathirikkunnu (Novel)- 1986 11. Njan Oru Kaioppu Matram (Stories)- 1988 12. Rachanayude Rahasyam (Children’s Literature)- 1989 13. Thapovanathile Sooryan (Children’s Literature)- 1989 14. Olivumarangalude Nattil (Travelogue)- 1989 15. Marubhumiyude Hridayam Thedi (Travelogue)- 1990 16. Maria Goretti (Children’s Literature)- 1991 17. Mahatma Gandhi (Biography)- 1994 18. M. P. Paul, Kalapathinte Thiruseshippukal (Biography)- 1994 19. Nadu Neengunna Neram (Stories)- 1995 20. Samathalangalkkappuram (Novel)- 1996 21. Arshajnanathinte Pravachakan (Biography)- 1999 22. Samaya Soochikal Nischalam (Stories)- 2005 23. Hrudayathil Oru Wal (Novel)- 2005 24. Kuttikalude Sampoorna Bible (Children’s Literature)- 2007 25. Parvathangalile Kattu -2007 (Based on the life on Mrs. Indira Gandhi) 26. Pranaya Kathakal -2009
27. Kerala Bhasha Ganga (Literary Criticism)- 1963 28. Yuga Prathibha (Literary Criticism)- 1963 29. Sahitya Sameepanam (Literary Criticism)- 1968 30. Ithihasa Pushpangal (Literary Criticism)- 1969 31. Nayakasankalpam Malayala Novelil (Thesis)- 1986
• Contributed, Story, Screenplay and Dialogue for nine feature films in Malayalam: 1. Aradhana 2. Ente Neelakasam 3. Leyam 4. Katha Parayum Kayal 5. Johny 6. Kaithappoo 7. Ulkkadal 8. Kilikonchal 9. Yamanam • Contributed Script for Twelve Documentary films. • The Film ‘Ulkkadal’ won number of Awards in 1979. • The Film ‘Yamanam’ won the Indira Gandhi Award for the best thematic content.
- The novel ‘illam’ won the Kerala Sahitya Academy Award in 1980 for the Best Novel written during the period from 1977 to 1979.
- The novel ‘Kamana’ won the Mar Ivanios Cultural Award in 1984.
- The Ph.D. thesis ‘Nayakasankalpam Malayala Novelil’ won the first K.M. George Sapthathi Award for the best thesis produced in Indian Universities in Language, Literature and Culture during the period from 1980 to 1985.
- The Film Critics Award for the Best Story Writer in 1991; Film ‘Yamanam’ based on the novel ‘Kamana’.
- The film ‘Yamanam’ won the National Award for the Best Social Theme in 1992.
- Honoured with Jawaharlal Nehru Award, instituted by the Mathrubhumi Study Circle, for the outstanding contributions to Children’s Literature in 1993.
- ‘Akale Akasam’ and ‘Illam’ were prescribed as textbooks for the Degree Examinations of the University of Kerala.
- ‘Orchid’—the translation of the novel ‘Kalthamara’—was prescribed as a textbook in the Clerk Atlanta University, Georgia, U.S.A.
- ‘M. P. Paul: Kalapathinte Thiruseshippukal’ won the Sahodaran Ayyappan Award for the best Biography in 1996.
- The biography ‘Arshajnanathinte Pravachakan’ won the Delhi Malankara Association Bi-Decennial Literary Award in 1999.
- Darsana Award for the outstanding contribution to the field of culture in 2000.
- Milan Award (Michigan Malayalee Literary Association of North America Award) for the unique contribution in Art, Literature and Culture in 2002.
- Kesava Dev Birth Centenary Award for the total contribution to the Malayalam Novel in 2003.
- The travelogue “Adarunna Akasam” won the Kerala Sahitya Academy Award in 2005.
- First Euro-American Pravasi Award for the outstanding Indian Writer in 2005.
- ‘STATE HONOUR’ by the Govt. of Kerala for the Distinguished Contributions to the Language & Literature (2005).
- The Novel ‘Hrudayathil Oru Wal’ won the K.C.B.C. Award , the prestigious Thakazhi Award and Kerala Sree Award(2006).
- Kesava Dev Award for the Novel ‘Parvathangalile Kattu’ in 2009.
- Chairman, State Resource Centre, Kerala: 3 years
- Director, The State Institute of Encyclopaedic Publications: 2 years
- Director, The Kerala Saksharatha Samithi: 2 years
- Director, The State Institute of Children’s Literature: 5 years
- Head of the Department of Malayalam, Mar Ivanios College, Thiruvananthapuram: 29 years
- Member, Director Board & Executive Committee of Sahitya Pravarthaka Cooperative Society, Kottayam: 3 years
- Member, Managing Committee, Kerala Sahitya Academy: 2 years
- Member, Managing Committee, ‘Thonnackal Asan Smarakam’:3 years
- President, Kerala Film Critics Association: 4 years
Positions in Academic, Cultural Bodies
- Member of the Kerala Sahitya Academy General Council and Finance Committee from 1974 to 1977 and from 1981 to 1984 and member of the Managing Committee from 1984 to 1986.
- Member of the Kerala University Senate from 1984 to 1988 (Government nominee representing the authors).
- Member of the Business Advisory Committee of the Kerala University Senate from 1984 to 1988.
- Member of the Board of Studies in Malayalam, Gandhiji University, Kottayam from 1984 to 1987.
- Member of the Board of Studies in Malayalam, University of Kerala from 1984 to 1990.
- Member of the Advisory Board of the Correspondence Course, University of Kerala from 1977 to 1981.
- Member of the Advisory Board, Department of Publications, University of Kerala from 1985 to 1988.
- Member of the Director Board and Executive Committee of the Sahitya Pravarthaka Co-operative Society from 1980 to 1983.
- Member of the Advisory Panel of the Regional Film Censor Board from 1984 to 1989.
- Member of the ‘Thonnackal Asan Smarakam’ from 1985 to 1988.
- Member of the School Syllabus Reforms Committee in 1983.
- Member of the School Library Committee from 1983 to 1988.
- Member of the Thiruvananthapuram Public Library Committee from 1982 to 1986.
- Member of the Media Committee, Kerala Saksharatha Samithi from 1991 to 1993.
- Member of the National Executive of Encyclopaedia Makers.
- Member of the Language Advisory Committee of the Encyclopaedic Publications, Govt. of Kerala.
- Member of the Judging Committee for State Award, Professional Dramas.
- Chairman of the State Award Committee for the Best Book on Cinema.
- Member of the Selection Committee for Sponsored Programs, Doordarshan.
- Member of Language Committee, Bharatiya Jnanapith Award.
- Member of the Script Selection Committee of the National Film Development Corporation.
- Member of the Book Selection Committee, Operation Black Board Scheme.
- Member of Kerala State Pre-primary Education Advisory Board.
- Member of the Kerala State Curriculum Committee.
- Member of the Swadeshabhimani Memorial Trust.
- Vice-President of the Indo-Ukrainian Friendship Society, Kerala Chapter.
- Vice-President of the C. Achutha Menon Foundation, Thiruvananthapuram Chapter.
- Expert Member of the Official Language Commission, Govt. of Kerala.
- Member of the Raja Ram Mohun Roy Library Foundation of India.
- Member of the Programme Advisory Committee, Prasar Bharathi.
- Chairman of the Publication Committee, Sahitya Pravarthaka Co-operative Society.
- Member of the Senate – CUSAT (Cochin University of Science & Technology ) 2007 –
- (Nominated by the Chancellor of the University – Governor – State of Kerala, representing the authors).
- President of the C.V. Raman Pillai National Foundation
Thiruvananthapuram 695 015
Tel: +91 471 2531135
Mobile: +91 94475 21162